Other Support

Swan wants to help as many of our members as possible, although sometimes we have to make difficult decisions to decline a loan application, we would like to make you aware of other support.

Although Swan maybe unable to help at this time, we hope that you will use the information here to apply for assistance from other charities.

We encourage anyone who is experiencing financial difficulties and struggling to manage debt to seek advice and to be cautious about using debt management companies as fees can be expensive. Always check terms and conditions and small print. We recommend only using agencies that are impartial or government sponsored and if you are unsure check with the Citizens Advice.

For impartial money help and financial advice, we recommend contacting the following organisations.



Grants can be given by charities as money, products or services that don’t have to be paid back. They can be provided in either one-off or regular payments to help with things such as bills, household expenses, furniture and white goods

Household Support Grant (HSG) | Household Support Grant (HSG) | Oxford City Council

Support with food, bills and finances (Helping Hand) | Buckinghamshire Council

Household support fund | Milton Keynes Council (milton-keynes.gov.uk)

Baby Basics | Supporting new mothers and families who are struggling to meet the financial and practical burden of looking after a new baby (baby-basics.org.uk)

Alternatively, here are some useful free services which give advice and information if you are experiencing financial difficulties.

Money & Pensions Service

The Money & Pensions Service (previously Money Advice Service) was set up by the government to provide free and impartial money advice and covers a whole range of services from debt and borrowing, budgeting and savings to homes and mortgages and family and retirement. There are lots of online tools and calculators with web chat and phone support for those who need it.


Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem

Citizens Advice

The Citizens Advice is a free, independent, confidential and impartial advice service that advise on rights and responsibilities around practices and policies that affect people’s everyday lives. There is a whole section on their website covering debt and money.

Step Change

StepChange is one of the UK’s leading debt charities to help tackle your debts with expert advice and fee free debt management.

National Debtline

The National Debtline provide free independent advice over the phone and online

Benefits calculators

Use an independent benefits calculator to find out:
• what benefits you could get
• how to claim
• how your benefits will be affected if you start work


WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people with their water bills. To apply for the scheme, you must be on benefits and need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of school-age children. You also need to be on a water meter or be waiting to have one installed.

Swan Community Bank is a trading name of Swan Credit Union which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Swan Credit Union Ltd. Our registered address is Foundation House, The Square, Wolverton, Milton Keynes MK12 5HX. (Company no. 417717).